Did your mom make you English Muffin Breakfast Pizza growing up? Mine did all the time, and my sister and I loved to help her make them. I came across a recipe “Freezer Mini English Muffin Pizza” in a cookbook recently and realized that it had been at least 20 years since I’d had one.
I wondered, were they really as good as I remembered or was it just nostalgia kicking in? I decided to try that one and am happy to report that the English Muffin Pizza recipe I cooked, was just as delicious in a yummy, kid food kind of way as I remembered.
The key to making the English muffin breakfast pizza is to toast the English muffins before you top them. Otherwise, they’ll come out soft and undercooked, and the beauty is in the toasty crunch of every nook and cranny.
INGRIDIENTSHOW TO MAKE Freezer Mini English Muffin Pizza
- 1 package (6 counts) English muffins
- 1 can tomato paste (Italian seasoned works great, but plain is fine, too)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (8 oz)
- Dried oregano
- Garlic powder (optional)
- Kosher salt for sprinkling spilled all the English muffins on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until lightly toasted. Let cool a little bit.
INSTRUCTIONS for Freezer Mini English Muffin Pizza
1) Spread each muffin with tomato paste and then top with shredded cheese. Sprinkle with oregano, garlic powder, and kosher salt.
2) For Thomas English muffin pizza, place the whole sheet in the freezer if it will fit; if not, transfer half to a plate and freeze the muffins. Once they are frozen (if they are stiff, it makes it easier to wrap them) remove from the freezer and wrap the pizzas individually with plastic wrap.
3) Place into a large bag and return to the freezer. (I used the bag that the English muffins came in, but a resealable bag works great, too)
4) To serve: remove the amount of individual English Muffin Pizza you’ll be eating and remove plastic wrap. Either place into the microwave for 2 minutes or until melted or place into the toaster oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned. I found a combo of a defrost in the microwave, then finish baking in the toaster oven my preferred cooking method. I follow the same method for the Ham and Cheese Toasters (and freezing/wrapping them individually) and bake them at the same time!
5) Serving the freezer mini English Muffin pizza to a 4-year-old on a Lightning McQueen plate only makes them taste better.
How did you find this English muffin breakfast pizza? Do let me know and stay connected for more.